Sunday, September 18, 2005

Trip Four: South Dike Road

I think these birds might be the American White Pelican. I will have to check it out.

Went across the bridge over the Colorado on the 95 to Levee Rd. in Arizona. Followed it around until we got to the gravel road along the river. Came to the Havasu National Wildlife Preserve. Followed the road to the end. Parked and headed on foot on a road that is closed to private vehicles. I am guessing we were on South Dike Road. Found a rickety observation tower and went up there to take some pictures of the marsh. I was too short to take pictures from the ground over the cattails. The white fuzz in the first picture are birds who were very kind to paddle over in full view of the little observation tower, as if on cue. They were very beautiful. Next time I will take my binoculars, if I can find them. In the later afternoon, when there is shade, it would be fun to sit up there and sketch the birds. Sometimes they fly over, too. Beautiful white and black. The place is not too far from where we parked. Tried to get a picture of the birds flying, but was out of battery power and they were flying right toward the sun. Maybe next time. Now I will post my "naturalist study" shots.


This shot is from the little tower, before the birds moved into view. I liked the way the lights and darks are around the trees.


There were many animal tracks along the way. This super highway from one side of the road to the other was hard to miss.


The other side of the road.


Here's some nice trees and the road.


For identification purposes.


See, I was too short. So...


I had to climb up on this thing! The End.

No comments: