Saturday, March 25, 2006

Third Field Trip - Fossil Hunting


I'm noticing how these panorama shots are getting smaller and smaller. This time it is made up of four shots. That is the only way I could get it all in.

Gaby and I changed our original plans because we needed to get a breakfast burrito and gas, so we approached the "pebble terraces" for our fossil hunt from the 95 N to Bullhead, exiting onto the 127 toward Golden Shores.

We had a lovely walkabout, especially loved the little gully where all the rocks were at eye level. Rock hunting can be taxing. First you have to spot them, then you have to lean over and pick them up, then you have to get out your reading glasses to really see them, and then you decide to pitch them back. The solution, I guess is to walk on all fours, but I liked the eye-level gully idea a lot better. We did find some interesting stuff, and rested on a little knoll to take the photos. As to the interesting stuff, I will let Corinne decide, if she has the time to take a look, but I do think I found a pretty good coral.














And, as to the near civilization part, which is my new rule, here's the pic.

Here come the "great" finds. I have to say there is a lot more variety to wonder what the heck it is on the pebble terraces. I'll just post the photos, processed the best I can, and you can decide what to pitch.















I call this one Pond Scum!














Here is Pond Scum in greater detail.
















These types of rocks were all over the place. Various sizes, but this nice concave surface. Hmmmmmm??????














The opposite side of this had a small amount of the branching coral. Just wondered if this side also was a product of coral?















I read somewhere that this little hole may be an indication of a fossil and agate has formed around it.














Is this mineral or animal?














I liked the high contrast, black on white, of this one. Are those broken fragments crystalline?














Here is the opposite side of that one.

















This one is covered by the little cell shapes as at the top. Not a lot of contrast with the rest, so they are hard to photograph. Another hmmmmmm????

I had a couple more, but they were a bit out of focus after I cropped them. Oh, well. I'm going to put them all in the pebble terrace bin so I will know where I found them.

No comments: