Sunday, September 11, 2005

Trip Three: North Dike and Pintail Slough

We finally made it. It was a beautiful cooler morning. Got our backpack ready and off we went. First time out into the "wilderness," so I was a little apprehensive. Forgot my hat. When we got there, it seemed all the fishermen were already out. So I figured no one would bother us because they were all out in their boats. Just saw a couple of guys on the opposite bank. Took the North Dike road and came almost immediately to a fork in the road. Which way to go? Decided to go in the opposite direction of gun fire. I am thinking we were on a road going around the marsh, but it was overgrown right up to the road, so couldn't see any water. Ok, we are supposed to be naturalists here, so stop looking at the weeds and gravel. Saw three bugs, well, maybe only two, if one of them was the same one we saw coming in as we saw going out. Saw a big coyote, a jack rabbit, a bird, and lots of piles of poop. We walked and walked and finally decided to turn around. I need to see if there is a map of the roads within the Refuge. Sure would like to know where we were. I think we walked for about two and a half hours in total. I believe the coyote had a den near where we spotted it on the road. I think it was checking us out. Gaby got interested, and then dug in and said we'd better get out of here the way little dogs do. I yelled at the coyote, "We might look tired, but we are not, so skat." Right around the next bend we met a guy walking in the opposite direction. Don't know if he heard me or not. Not too happy about seeing someone, a half naked guy in khaki shorts, no backpack, no water. Looked like a bureaucrat, though, clean-shaven sort. I greeted him first, he looked me over and then he said how cool it finally was. Everyone I met after that said the same thing. Gaby and I were dragging when we got back to the pickup. Had some cool water and headed for Catfish Paradise, our favorite so far, to eat out breakfast burrito brunch. I'll post some pictures now and talk about them.

This is me being a "naturalist."

Seems to be a parasite in this tree. Guess I'll see what it is.


This is a picture of the pile of poop that is all over the place.


I thought this was sort of lyrical. Make a nice art work. Haven't a clue what the plant is. Isn't that awful.


Now I am just going to post a lot of pictures of the marsh. Tried to edit them into nice compositions for some paintings.

No comments: