Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Next Trip Along the BLM Road Near Gaby's Peak

This walk was a killer. Up and down and up and down, five hills, or maybe even more. Saw a great bird, that I'll have to identify later. It was on the ground, and then it circled us round and round to check out Gaby. We had decided to walk to the Crestview Wash and then walk up the wash about 3/4s of a mile to look for amethyst. After the walk we were in no shape to look for anything.

This is as far up the wash as we got.
































This shot of old Flat Top in the background is to orient you to where we were. This is the spot where our trail up the wash sort of petered out.















Our hike was after a rain, and there was such a pleasant aroma in the the air. It made the trip worthwhile. This is for a color study of the beautiful desert palette.















Some little plants had their roots firmly planted in clay and were soaking up all the moisture they could.

I feel bad that I didn't take more pictures. I usually take photos on the walk back to the truck. This place had some awesome sights, too. But I was so tired, and with five, or was it six, hills to climb, I just could only think of making it back to the truck in one piece. Definitely a cardio-work-out. I'm going to try to get at this wash from another overland route. Lots more to explore here.

On the way in, not so many hills, I saw where the arroyo by Gaby's Peak emptied onto the road. This will be are next field trip, the end of April. Oh, oh, May is coming, and then rockhounding will take a break until October. That's ok, I have a lot of rock identifying and rock tumbling to work on.

No comments: