Monday, April 02, 2007

Return to Gaby's Peak

We had a nice hike Sunday and finally explored the arroyo we saw at the bottom of Gaby's Peak. Here come the pics.

There's a fairly nice little stream bed cut out between walls of awesome volcanic eruptions. A few are this deep grey color.

Some are tall enough to make beautiful little mini-canyons to explore.

Most of the volcanic rock is this reddish-brown and occasionally there are bright splashes of color from lichens, I suppose.

Here you can see the width of the stream bed near the I -40. That is the Dead Mountains in the distance.

As the arroyo narrowed we were treated to a maze of intersecting little mini-canyons. This time they were this reddish-brown color and shot full of awesome looking volcanic eruptions. Here I'm looking back at Gaby's Peak.



As we went from canyon to canyon we found a little flat knoll where the shrubs had all been burned. Near it was a neat pile of lumber and a shovel. Someone had decided to settle down, I guess, in the most picturesque place. Hmmmm? It was kind of spooky and then faithful Gaby disappeared and that really spooked me out!

I guess Gaby chased something, a scent perhaps, and then missed the little canyon coming back. She returned the opposite way all smiling and waging her tail.

See what a neat place it is. Wouldn't be so bad if there was water!

The End!

It was a three-hour trek and now this Monday morning Gaby and I can barely move. I'll post some pictures of the finds after I check with the Rock Lady to see if there are any good ones. Next trip is to the awesome sites around Laughlin, NV.

Rock Hounds Rule!

No comments: