Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Colorado River Poem


Hello, bird.
Gaby (that’s my dog) and I met you at the river.
I wondered just how long your neck was,
as you craned it to check us out.
I thought you would fly away,
but you stayed.
I told Gaby we would sit in our space
and you could have your space to be in.
Gaby sat at the edge of our space and watched.
You watched Gaby.
Gaby watched you.
She looked around the river bank for awhile,
and then returned to her space-place.
Once you caught something to eat,
and Gaby was very interested.
Once you unfurled your wings,
and jumped up on a rock,
when some boat waves came ashore.
Gaby thought that was very cool.
Then - you just flew away.
Gaby ran with you along the river bank,
and watched as you crossed the river
to the other side.
You stopped in some rocks
by people swimming on the other bank.
That’s when we decided you were indeed a people-dog-bird.

No comments: